Money Saving Q and A- Time Spent Couponing

 

Q: How much time do you spend couponing?  I don't feel like I have time for anything else!

A:  I'll be honest here.  Couponing is not sitting down five minutes before you go to the store and clipping two coupons for things you have on your list.  I mean, you can do that, and you might save a whole dollar, but if you really want to see a difference in your budget, it does require some time and preparation.  The more time you put into it, the more you'll save.  The longer you coupon, the easier it gets and the less time you'll spend actually clipping and preparing for shopping trips.  I would say I spend around an hour a week.  This hour is spent in front of my TV watching one of my favorite DVRed shows and I'm done before I know it.  (The way I like to exercise too!)  Also, I'd say I spend an extra hour per month, usually at the beginning of the month, going through my binder and pulling out expired coupons.  I may sit down for a just a couple of minutes every other day to check for any new printable coupons.  I'd say it also takes an extra five minutes when shopping with coupons, if your organzied.  So at the most, I spend about five hours a month couponing and I save HUNDREDS of dollars!  Well worth the time spent!


I'd love to hear your thoughts or tips on this topic! Leave it in a comment!  Have a question?  Email me at couponmomoftwo@live.com!  Read more Money Saving Q and A HERE!

3 comments:

  1. i would say i spend 3hrs every two weeks to organize my shopping trip,couponing, making my list. then another 2 hours shopping. its not too bad considering how much is saved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes me a lot longer, because I am new, but also a lot of the time is "recreational," reading on websites about deals, interacting with other couponers, trading.
    Maybe 1-2 hours a week clipping and organizing coupons (includes getting rid of/moving expired coupons). 1 hour a week meal planning and making shopping lists (pulling out coupons I want to use, etc). At least 1 hour a day reading online and trading coupons (but again this is largely recreational for me). I definitely get paid more than $15 an hour for that time! And I enjoy it.

    Shopping takes less time than it did before coupons because I have to be super organized, otherwise my kids distract me and I miss something important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always keep my coupon binder in the car. I spend a lot of time waiting to pick up kids so I organize my coupons while I'm waiting:)

    ReplyDelete